I realize most people probably prefer a sunny day during the summer, but give me a good rainy day during any season of the year and I’m happy as a kid in a puddle. Today marked the first day of a two-week vacation, and so what better way to celebrate than with heavy rain pounding the windows all day. (Well, just to clarify, today actually began the final two weeks before I have to set the alarm clock and return to my classroom, but I am sipping from the glass half full.)
So, today’s celebration was filled with the very simplest of shenanigans indeed:
1. Hours of drenching rain that splashed my little corner of the world.
2. Vanishing for a couple of hours into THIS delicious murder mystery by Louise Penny and watching one very happy lemon tree enjoy a shower:
3. Sketching and watercoloring! A tomato, or, um, a spaceship, depending on your perspective…what can I say, I’m learning. (It’s fun to play!)
4. Tuning in to (and subsequently BINGEING) the brilliant A Very English Scandal on Amazon Prime. Give both Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw an Emmy! A Golden Globe! Here’s a review in The Atlantic for your reading pleasure:
5. Devouring a tomato/spaceship (mozzarella and fresh basil included) whilst catching up with this wee one after being away for a week.
6. Watching the rain continue to power-wash the world outside and feeling the peace of knowing there’s no place I would rather be.
It’s that simple.